Who is excited for the New Year? At Stone Creek Dental, we view 2022 as the perfect time to leave bad oral health habits in the past. If you don’t have any goals or resolutions for 2022 yet, we are here to give you some easy ones.
Things To Do This New Year
We want to help benefit your oral and overall health in every way we can, so here are ten sustainable goals to help you keep your teeth in top shape this year:
- Keep up with your flossing. If you have been to see us recently, you know how much we emphasize flossing. When you floss, you can clean surfaces of your teeth that a toothbrush cannot reach. Floss twice a day with your brushing!
- Drink water that is infused with fluoride. Fluoride is excellent at helping prevent the onset of cavities by giving your teeth a stronger resistance to acids.
- Brush your teeth gently. If you use too much pressure when you brush your teeth, you can damage your gums over time.
- Start brushing twice per day for two minutes each time. We hope all of you are already brushing twice per day, but increasing your brush time to two minutes will ensure a healthier smile and a lower likelihood of developing cavities.
- Schedule your first hygiene visit of the year. We recommend seeing your dental hygienist every six months. If you haven’t come in for hygiene since June, it is time to schedule! Keeping up with your hygiene appointments has many benefits, the greatest of which is keeping any plaque and tartar that has developed on your teeth under control.
- Keep up a healthy, balanced diet. Everyone knows staying away from sugar is essential for the health of your teeth, but did you know having a generally balanced diet is too? Fiber-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables and dairy products are beneficial to the overall health of your teeth and enamel.
- Drink more water. Water is vital for all areas of your health, including oral health! When you drink water, especially with a meal, it will wash away plaque-causing substances such as sugars and starches.
- If you like to chew gum, make sure it is sugarless. In addition to this, chewing sugarless gum after big meals can help prevent tooth decay!
- Commit to replacing your toothbrush every three months. If you use the same toothbrush for too long, the bristles will become worn out and less effective at cleaning your teeth. This may mean more visits to the dentist and more money spent in the long run. Prevent this from happening, and start your year by treating yourself to a new toothbrush today!
- Use mouthwash. Mouthwash is great for fighting bacteria, especially on your tongue and gums. You will see the best benefits of mouthwash if you use it for 30 seconds twice per day as a part of your brushing routine.
We promise you won’t regret adopting these practices. The long-term health of your smile will thank you later!. If you have any questions about oral hygiene or simple ways to take care of your teeth, give us a call at (940) 891-0389. We would love to answer any of your dental questions and get your first hygiene appointment of 2022 on the calendar!
How wise are your wisdom teeth?